Phonics is a key area of learning in Grade R, 1, 2 and 3 and should be made to be an enjoyable learning experience for children. This fun phonics activity is detailed below.
You will need:
- 1 x shallow Gratnells Tray (F1) with a lid
- Shredded paper/tissue paper
- Selection of star words using a phonic sound of your choice for eg. “aw” (quantity dependable on the challenge set for the children). We have provided you with a list of phonic sounds for each grade that can be used ?
- Type up/choose the selection words to focus on with the ‘aw’ phonetic.
- Write and cut out the star words.
- Fill the F1 tray with shredded paper and hide the words within.
What to do:
- Ensure the words are hidden.
- Explain to the children that they need to find a word and decode to read it aloud.
- After the child has read the word, they put it to one side.
- The child with the most correctly read words at the end is the winner.
Other things to try…
- How many words can the children remember?
- Add in some ‘alien’ words, for the children to sort.
- Put the words into sentences.
Share pictures of your phonics fun on social media using #Briteidea #Whatsinmytray #phonicsfun #learningthroughplay