You will be able to:
- decode and read words with the ‘sh’ phonetic sound
You will need (per class)
- 1 x shallow Gratnells Tray (F1) with a lid
- 20 x Shells (quantity depends on how many words you want to focus on)
- Choose the words to write onto the shells.
- Using a permanent pen, write on each of the words carefully.
- Leave shells to dry for a few minutes.
- Fill the Gratnells tray with sand and place shells inside.
What to do:
- Ensure that all the shells are covered by the sand.
- Explain to the children that they need to find the shells.
- When they find one, they need to read the word correctly.
- After the child has read the word, they put it to one side.
- The child with the most correctly read words at the end is the winner.
Other things to try…
- You could include a range of other phonetic sounds as you wish
- How many words can the children remember with the ‘sh’ sound?
Share photographs of your phonics fun on social media using #Briteidea #WhatsInMyTray #phonicsfun #learningthroughplay